Sunday, February 24, 2019

Valentine's Day at our Hive

This year the kids were very excited for Valentine's Day. Lucille and I picked out Valentine cards to give her class weeks ago and ever since the kids have been counting down the days.
Lucille picked out a Valentine and a sucker for each of her classmates and her teachers and signed her name to all of them. It was a lot of fun to help with. To include Lennon in the giving I got down materials for him to make his dad a card. He really put his all into it. Colors, stickers, he even used scissors on it.
Before Lucille headed off to school we gave the kids 9 hearts: 3 purple, 3 blue and 3 red. 3 things that make each kid unique and that we love about them. Lucille's were: great dancer, story teller extraordinaire and fashion expert (the last was her favorite). Lennon 's were: phenomenal puzzle skills, excellent veggie cutter and funny man woka woka! (That was his favorite.)  Truman's were food enthusiast, cuddly man and fearless. You wouldn't believe how special these construction paper hearts made them feel. They are now hung on their bedroom doors.
Lucille came home with a bag of goodies and she graciously shared some with Lennon. She clearly had a fantastic celebration at school and I loved hearing all about it. And she made me the world's cutest Valentine!!

When Daddy came home we gave them each a Valentine chocolate: a unicorn for Lucille, a toad for Lennon and an owl for Truman. I was afraid they would want to consume it all in a single sitting but surprisingly, they regulated themselves. They ate about a forth at a time and managed to make their chocolate last a week. (Most of Truman's is still in the cupboard.)
$1 chocolate and construction paper hearts would have been enough to keep my bees happy. But I happened to find a huge Disney coloring book I knew Lennon would love and a sticker book I knew Lucille would love just days before Valentine's day, so this year they got a little extra. Lucille has been off school all week so those activities have helped keep them entertained.
I didn't snap a single picture of the kids on Valentine's day. But I think I managed to keep things low key while making them feel special. So, I definitely consider the day a success!

No comments:

Post a Comment